Skip to Main Content
Skip to Main Menu
You are here:
Inner Page Racing Picture
Print this Page



What is the Cost of a Standardbred License?

Any person or multiple ownership (Stable Name, Corporation) involved in Standardbred racing in Ontario must hold a current and valid Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) Standardbred horse racing licence to participate in racing in the province. AGCO Racetrack Licensing Offices are located and open where racing is being conducted at Standardbred racetracks. An AGCO licence is required for all owners and trainers entering horses and is required by any person needing access to the backstretch, stable or paddock for the purposes of racing.

Licence must be carried at all times 
Whenever a licensee is in the backstretch or stable areas of the racetrack association or needs to gain access to the paddock when their horse is racing, the licensee must carry their valid and current AGCO Horse Racing Licence Card on their person. A licensee is required to produce their AGCO Horse Racing Licence Card upon request by an authorized representative of the racetrack association, a Racing Official or a representative or member of the AGCO. 

A “guest” of a licensee is allowed in the backstretch, stable or paddock area when accompanied by a licensee, once the guest has been signed in with racetrack association security and approved. 

Change of Address 
A licensee must provide written notification of any change in permanent address within five (5) days of any change. 

Claiming Certificate 

A claiming race is a race in which all of the horses are for sale for more or less the same price (the “claiming price”) up until shortly before the race. An individual who does not have a valid AGCO licence must obtain a Claiming Certificate to claim a racehorse.

A Claiming Certificate can be applied for at an AGCO Racetrack Licensing Office (by completing form 04059) and is valid for 30 days. Once a horse is claimed using the Claiming Certificate, the new owner must then apply for a permanent licence as an Owner with the AGCO.

An individual, who already possesses a valid AGCO Owner licence, need not apply for a Claiming Certificate to claim a racehorse.

Lessors and Lessees
When a horse is programmed to race under a Lessee Owner, the owner of the horse, as well as the person or entity leasing the horse, must be licensed.

Horse Suspension
A horse will be suspended when:

  1. An owner, stable or estate does not have a valid licence;
  2. A temporary licence has expired; or
  3. A reciprocal licensee has not supplied proof of a valid licence from a recognized racing jurisdiction.

90 Sheppard Avenue East

Suite 200-300

Toronto, Ontario

M2N 0A4

(416) 326-8700 [Phone]
  Share on