Skip to Main Content
Skip to Main Menu
You are here:
Inner Page Racing Picture
Print this Page


Quarter Horse

Any person or multiple ownership (Stable Name, Corporation, Partnership) involved in Quarter Horse racing in Ontario must hold a current and valid Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) Quarter Horse licence to participate in racing in the province. AGCO Racetrack Licensing Offices are located at all operating Quarter Horse racetracks. An AGCO licence is required for all owners and trainers entering horses and by any person needing access to the backstretch or paddock for the purposes of racing. All licences must be renewed annually.

Licence Must be Carried at all Times
When a licensee is in the backstretch or stable area of the racetrack association or needs to gain access to the paddock when their horse is racing, the licensee must carry their valid and current AGCO Horse Racing Licence Card on their person. A licensee is required to produce their AGCO Horse Racing Licence Card when requested by an authorized representative of the racetrack association, a Racing Official or a representative or member of the AGCO.

A “guest” of a licensee is allowed in the backstretch, stable or paddock areas when accompanied by a licensee, once the guest has been signed in with racetrack association security and approved. 

Change of Address
A licensee must provide written notification of any change in permanent address within five (5) days of any change. 

Licensing Requirements for Claiming
To claim a Quarter Horse racehorse in Ontario, an individual must be an active licensee, meaning they hold a valid and current AGCO owner licence and have started a racehorse during the current racing season. An individual not meeting these requirements should apply for an Initial Claim Permit.
An Initial Claim Permit can be used at any time during the Quarter Horse racing season, except for the first and last 30 days of the meet. An individual should apply for the Initial Claim at the AGCO Racetrack Licensing Office by completing an individual application form and submitting the fees for the Initial Claim . Approval of the Initial Claim Permit and owners licence application will be held pending a due diligence investigation of the applicant. An Initial Claim Permit allows an individual to claim one horse. For additional information, please refer to Rule 12.29 of the Rules of Thoroughbred Racing.

Lessors and Lesees of Horses
When a horse is programmed to race under a Lessee Owner, the owner of the horse, as well as the person or entity leasing the horse, must be licensed. Any individual leasing a horse for racing must be identified as the lessee on the horse’s registration papers.

Owners must Register their Colours

In Quarter Horse racing, the colours worn by the jockey help the betting public identify the horses during the race. The colours, also known as silks, refer to the unique combination of colours on the jacket and cap worn by the jockey. 

Each owner, or multiple ownership (stable name, corporation, partnership), is required to register their own unique set of colours with a Quarter Horse AGCO Racetrack Licensing Office and, once they are approved, have the jacket and cap made to be used by the jockey when their horse races. Colours are registered in the Colours Registry which currently holds over 3,000 sets of colours. 

Colours can be renewed annually, or owners can choose to register their colours as lifetime colours. 

Rules of Racing 
The rules related to licensing for Quarter Horse racing are covered by the Rules of Thoroughbred Racing.

90 Sheppard Avenue East

Suite 200-300

Toronto, Ontario

M2N 0A4

(416) 326-8700 [Phone]
  Share on